So time to give you a little insight into my life, I broke up with my boyfriend just before Christmas and if I am totally honest, I’m not over him whatsoever we were only dating a year (I know it’s not that long) but I’ve never felt they way I felt about him before, I was with my ex before him for nearly four years and the feelings do not come close! My heart was most definitely broken into a million pieces and I’m trying to stick them all back together!
Gosh I must sound like a broken record to most of you! The cliche heartbreak followed by the cliche ‘how to get over it’ methods, well yes. This is one of the posts, but at the same time it isn’t, I’m still trying to figure out how to get over him! So this is kind of my guide to attempting to get over a break up, it’s slowly helped me, so maybe it would slowly help you?
1. It’s ok to have a rebound – yes I had one, not my brightest or proudest move, but it gave me a confidence boost, it made me remember that I’m not going to be alone forever and someone can still care about me when I was running around telling everyone I was going to be alone forever and no one would ever love me again!
(we were sort of a rebound on each other so it didn’t get too messy when we both realised)
2. Join the gym and lift! – a cliche ‘go to the gym and show him what he’s missing’ NO! Go to the gym for yourself, I’ve never had a bad body, standard slim figure, but after my breakup I didn’t know what to do with my spare time, I would just sit at home and reminisce on old memories which isn’t good to get over someone!! So I joined a gym and lifted weights! No ladies you will not look like a body builder you will be fit with a perfect bum! Which is deep down all women truly want isn’t it? Exercise is an anti depressant, and when you start to see your body change for the good it’s an addiction! Plus the comments I get on my new improve squat bum is fab!
3. Rediscover a passion – we all get too tied up in relationships and forget the things we used to do, for me it was reading. Before the world of men, I was never without a book in my hand which slowly died away as I delved deeper and deeper into the cocoon of my relationship. Since being placed firmly back on the shelve I have once again been embraced by all the books I left on said shelf and greeted like an old friend!
4. Change something about yourself – it doesn’t need to be a major ‘cut all your hair off and move to Tibet’ just something silly and small, I changed my foundation and liquid eyeliner, sounds weird doesn’t it, but it made me feel good about myself. New makeup makes every girl feel good about herself right?! When I felt like just lying in my bed all day feeling miserable for myself, my new Bobbi Brown foundation and eyeliner enticed me out of my pit and back into the land of the living with a fresh face!
5. Finally do something out of your comfort zone – again, doesn’t have to be wild, for me it was signing myself up for a half marathon (for me a massive deal!) I do not run. Not one bit. But again, I was an emotional wreck and was feeling mildly reckless! And I do not regret my decision, I’ve been training and I’ve really started enjoying it!
So there you have it, my tips on trying to get over a breakup, no they’re not the answers and obviously everyone deals with this kind of thing differently. But at times like this us girls have to stick together and maybe they could work for you too.